MultiRotor Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheapo-Quad

2 posters

Go down

Cheapo-Quad Empty Cheapo-Quad

Post by neclovek Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:49 pm

Pople wanted to know how to build a quad so cheap, that even the toy grade quads seem expensive so here is how i did it:
First of all, I didn't have much money to start with and second - i got lucky! Also I only bought stuff with free shipping.
It all starts by chosing the right motors because that is the priciest part of a quad. In one aliexpress store "Lighting Hobby" they had a listing of Four motors with escs for 40€ (Link at the bottom) so I bought that and i was surprised by the nice quality. They are 2212 sized motors, 920KV speed with 30A SimonK ESCs. Then i looked for some 1045 props (recommended for those motors). Props kinda defined the frame size. Its recommended that spacing between motors is same or bigger size as one and half of the propeller (link with explanation below), in this case its around 540mm but you could get away with 450mm frame as well (thats why it's recommended, not mandatory). So I made a frame (now I am actualy building a third one Very Happy) but you can buy most sizes of frames for about 15€. Next up was the battery. Since it's a big-ass quad, we can use any size of battery we want. I used a 5Ah battery and the flight time yet has to be tested a little better but it's around 15 minutes and because of the ESC limitations its a 3S (three cell). You can get batteries really cheap on banggood or hobbyking (beware of shipping costs on hobbyking). Also dont forget to buy an opposite connector for your battery and some thick wires for it! Now its time to talk about power distribution. I had some unused PCBs laying around so i cut out two pieces sized about 1x3cm and applied a thick solder layer on top, then i soldered all the + (red) wires to one and all the - (black) wires to other one. You can also get pre-made power distribution boards for few cents so PDB, wires and connectors alltogether are around 5€. Let's choose a flight controller now. Flight controller is a brain of every multirotor, it makes flying easy by transforming signals from your two controll sticks into signals for driving all the motors. It also stabilises your quad and bunch of other stuff. Since we want this cheap, lets choose a CC3D. It is ultra simple to setup, flies great and has all the functionality we need. Now we are at the end. The last thing is a transmitter and receiver. We do want it cheap but you shouldn't cheap out on this because if you decide to go further, build more stuff and get more into this hobby, you will need a good transmitter for sure and if you buy crappy one, you will need to replace it later but if you buy really good one, its not gonna be cheap at all, then there is FlySky FS-i6. Perfect beginner radio which you can use even with advanced aircraft so you wont need to buy a new one as soon and its also ultra cheap so win-win.
And that's it. That's how you get a nice flying quad for much less money.

BOM (your):
Motors & ESCs - 40€
Props - Around 10€
Frame - 15€
Battery - 30€
Power distribution - 5€
Flight controller - 10€
TX & RX - 50€
Total - 160€ - For that price you get a big stable and powerful quad with brushless motors, big battery for long flight time and a great begniner radio.

Links:
Motors & ESCs
Frame size
Battery
Transmitter & Receiver

Last edited by neclovek on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:08 am; edited 3 times in total
neclovek
neclovek

Back to top Go down

Cheapo-Quad Empty Re: Cheapo-Quad

Post by Bluespark89 Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:11 pm

Very cool read Razz Seems complicated, lots of abbreviations that i have no idea what they mean! lol. I would have to have someone local to me that knew what they where doing to evan consider building one Razz
Bluespark89
Bluespark89
Admin
Admin

https://multirotor-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by neclovek Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:48 am

Please make all parts have their own subforum and I will then make info post for all of them where I will explain what they are, what they do, how they work and all the things around. I will explain the abbreviations as well.
neclovek
neclovek

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluespark89 Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:57 am

give me a list and I wil
Bluespark89
Bluespark89
Admin
Admin

https://multirotor-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down