MultiRotor Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suit case Drone Take it on the road

3 posters

Go down

Suit  case Drone Take it on the road Empty Suit case Drone Take it on the road

Post by multicopterdesign Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:54 pm

I don't see many drones that are made out of solid wood.  Some say wood it is too heavy to fly.  I have been able to show that wood is just as light if used with the right power plant and matchup for the props.
With that being said here is the next prototype that I am working on.  I am going to call it the "Suitcase Drone."
It will measure 15" x 12" x 6" tall.  I am hoping to use 935 kv with 8045 props.  Only time will tell once it is built.  If all goes well I will try and sell kits instead of plans.  The plan idea was a total failure.  No one wanted to buy them.  Even if they were better written, had full size templates, and I showed videos of them successfully built and maiden flown not one sale or interest. (sigh)  Oh well lesson learned.
Maybe the kits will be a better seller.  Time will tell.  I will only be selling the bodies if this new prototype works and successfully flies.  Oh in case someone asks why call it the Suitcase Drone.  It is because the handle looks like a suitcase handle. Smile

Suit  case Drone Take it on the road <a href=Suit  case Drone Take it on the road Flying%20Drone_slide1_zpsmfiyppbz" />

Suit  case Drone Take it on the road <a href=Suit  case Drone Take it on the road Folded%20on%20ground_zpseqw6x3tx" />

Suit  case Drone Take it on the road <a href=Suit  case Drone Take it on the road Current%20working%20model%20folddown%208%20in_zps7wslygih" />

multicopterdesign

Back to top Go down

Suit  case Drone Take it on the road Empty Re: Suit case Drone Take it on the road

Post by neclovek Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Looks pretty sweet! What's the price?
neclovek
neclovek

Back to top Go down

Suit  case Drone Take it on the road Empty Re: Suit case Drone Take it on the road

Post by Bluespark89 Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:23 pm

Looks very cool, I'd be terrified of crashing though
Bluespark89
Bluespark89
Admin
Admin

https://multirotor-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by multicopterdesign Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:34 pm

You would be surprised how well that wood holds up. I totally wiped out the Black bug and only had to replace just one of the main spars for the motors.
I will give a price once I get a flying prototype built. Weight issues and all. Just want to make sure it has the right power to weight ratio.

multicopterdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluespark89 Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:39 pm

Smile
Bluespark89
Bluespark89
Admin
Admin

https://multirotor-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by multicopterdesign Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:42 pm

The plan is to use to 935kv motors, 20 amp skinny blheli escs, 6 channel receiver, 8045 props.  The total weight should come in around 1200 grams.  I can fly a drone that weights that much with the same dimensions.  It is in the very beginning stages.  I am using foam to create friction between the motor arms and the body plates.  This has worked out pretty good so far.  It keeps the arms straight and rigid enough, yet it does not affect it when putting the arms into the folded position.  Using nylon studs as supports keeps the weight down.
The wood was cut out by a bandsaw and sanded into their relative shapes.  A drill press was used to drill out the holes.  
So far all that is built is the frame.  I am waiting on some more parts to come in the mail.  Should be a good design if it flies.

Suit  case Drone Take it on the road <a href=Suit  case Drone Take it on the road 20151004_135344_zpso17xih66" />

Suit  case Drone Take it on the road <a href=Suit  case Drone Take it on the road 20151004_135402_zpsfltwttgg" />

Suit  case Drone Take it on the road <a href=Suit  case Drone Take it on the road 20151006_173632_zpseihtftxp" />

Suit  case Drone Take it on the road <a href=Suit  case Drone Take it on the road 4af7c90e-2692-486f-bbf8-71d74a3db893_zpszukyrpx0" />

im experimenting with a rubber black spray paint for the landing gear.  So far it works pretty well.

multicopterdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by neclovek Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:05 pm

Looks quite cool but it weights a ton, that's a bummer.
neclovek
neclovek

Back to top Go down

Post by multicopterdesign Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:20 pm

neclovek wrote:Looks quite cool but it weights a ton, that's a bummer.

I may be off on my final grams.  I weighed the drone with just the hardware on the frame and it came in at 367 grams.  When I go to hobby king and see the same dimension drone frames I am still 100 grams under on what some of them offer.  This drone is 12 inches from center to center.  As with all designs time will tell all.

multicopterdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by neclovek Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:54 pm

What do you mean by hardware?
neclovek
neclovek

Back to top Go down

Post by multicopterdesign Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:36 pm

Nylon studs, 4/40 nuts and bolts, 6/32 nuts and bolts. The rest I would call equpiment.

multicopterdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by neclovek Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:17 pm

So basicaly what you ment is the frame itself without any electronics, right?
neclovek
neclovek

Back to top Go down

Post by multicopterdesign Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:16 am

Yep

multicopterdesign

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum